Sunday, February 9, 2014

Exodus 20:12 "Honoring Honorably"

                Today we begin what is commonly known as the second table of the Ten Commandments.  Notice that I said second table, and not second tablet; there’s a difference.  As I briefly mentioned back a few weeks ago (and as many of you probably already knew) the two tablets of the Ten Commandments were actually copies of one list.  Each of the two tablets contained the Ten Commandments in their entirety.  There was a copy for God and a copy for Israel, each of the two parties in the agreement.   That’s not what I’m talking about here when I refer to the second table.  You see, the first four commandments are known as the first table.  These can be described as man’s responsibilities to God or God’s requirements of man.  The second table, consisting of the fifth through tenth commandments, contains the commandments pertaining to how man is to deal and interact with his fellow man.  It is how we are to relate to one another.  So to recap, the first four are how we relate to God and the final six are how we relate to one another.  It’s really quite astounding to think that the basis or summation of how we are to relate to one another in a Christian community can be found and summed up in such a short text (verses 12-17).  However, God is the author of all things and who better to be able to so precisely state how we are to interact with one another than the One who created all of us, the One who created all that is in this world.  And before we get into this commandment, I was to point out one thing about this second table that comes to us today.  The second half of verse 12, “that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you” doesn’t just apply to our text for today.  No, it applies to all of the commandments included in the second table.  It applies to the fifth through tenth commandment.  It is the reward or the promise that we receive for our keeping of these commandments.  It is the reward, promise, and blessing that Christ achieved for all of us through his atoning sacrifice. Hear that again, even though we continuously fail to live up to our part of the agreement, we still have all the blessings because of the sacrificing death of Christ.

                Now, this commandment, just like all the other commandments, has been a little misused or misunderstood historically, at least in my opinion.  Unfortunately, I have seen and heard many folks use this commandment as an excuse for improper behavior or as an attempt to get what they want.  I seen this commandment typically thought of as a directive used by parents to give order to their children.  This commandment reads, “Honor your father and your mother.”  I’ll be the first one to tell you, that of all the commandments that deal with our earthly relationships, this one is probably the one that I violated the most in my youth.  That’s not to say that I didn’t or don’t love my parents, but there was a time when my honor for them was pretty non-existent.  I’ll speak more on this in a moment, but I want to first point out why I think that this is so commonplace in our world today.  You see, we live in a world that rejects authority.  I don’t care who you are, there’s a good chance that one of your favorite phrases is “No one is going to tell me what to do.”  This (we’ll call it) authority defiance has spread over time to the realm of the family.  We live in a world where children ask regularly of their parents things like “what business is it of yours?”  As my father used to tell me, “As long as the bill still comes to my house, it’s my business” ; a statement that I used to brush off; that is, until my 5 year old, upon being asked what she was doing, told me that it was none of my business a few weeks ago.  I quickly responded by telling her that she has no business that isn’t ultimately mine.

                Now I don’t want to make too much of this because ultimately these are things that children do.  Children are still growing in their knowledge and understanding of all things, especially their Christian faiths and how they are to conduct themselves as Christians.  You see, I think that this commandment, while pertaining to children as well, is aimed equally, if not more so, at adult children.  You see, we have twisted this commandment in our world to instead of saying that we should honor our parents, it basically says, “Obey your father and your mother no matter what they tell you.”  However, that is not what God is telling Israel to do, at least not entirely.  Using the help of Jesus (Matt. 15) and Paul (Eph. 6) we could say that this commandment is actually a command to respect, revere, obey, and when necessary care for our parents.  So yes, obeying is part of it, but there is so much more to it than a simple blind obedience.

                As I mentioned just a moment ago, I have personally violated this commandment repeatedly in my lifetime.  You see, I was blessed as a child.  I wanted for nothing.  My parents both worked very hard for the well-being of our family and made sure that even when they were exhausted, there was still time for me.  As I got a little older, I didn’t want their time.  I didn’t want them as part of my daily life, so I became angry about it.  I would say things to my parents, especially my mother, which showed them, no respect, no honor, and no dignity.  I would say things that make me wonder how I even survived one of them not killing me to be quite honest with you.  We brush it off and call it teenage angst, but somehow I think this was something much more.  The way in which I dishonored my parents in my youth makes me evermore thankful for the grace and mercy of Christ that covers our sins.  It makes me evermore thankful for the sacrifice that we remember today with the elements on the table before us.  The blood of Christ has to power to was away all our sins no matter the severity of them.

                So, we’ve seen that this commandment is much more than a simple obedience to what your mother and father tell you, but it is showing them honor and reverence in the way that we talk to/about them, treat them, and care for them.  However, there is another side to this commandment that so often gets overlooked.  You see, the burden of this commandment is not always with that of the younger generation.  No, there is a responsibility on behalf of the parents, the elders, to teach their children how they are to go about honoring them.  Think about it for a second and it just makes sense.  The way in which we learned our manners was by being taught by someone.  I can promise you that little boys do not innately answer their mamas with “Yes ma’am” and “no ma’am.”  No, it is something that had to be taught to them.  Well, the same is true of authority.  The world we live in today is one where parents want to be friends first and parents second, and don’t think this is a new problem.  I have many friends today who will openly tell you that this was the case with their parents as well.  So you see, if authority and submission to authority is never learned by the younger generation, then we can’t just decide that one day we are going to start blaming our children for not knowing something that we were supposed to teach them and didn’t.  I know I wouldn’t want to be held responsible for not learning something that my superior was supposed to teach me and didn’t, and neither would you.  So it’s not just about children honoring their parents, but parents honoring their children and teaching them how they are to live in light of the saving grace that they are made heir of through Jesus Christ.

                Now, before we leave this text today, I need to point out one more thing and answer a question that no doubt at least some of you are asking right now.  What if your mother and/or father ask you to do something immoral?  What if your mother or father is abusive, neglectful, or some other type of irresponsible parent?  Well, that doesn’t free you from this commandment.  As I said earlier, this commandment isn’t a call to simple of obedience of authority.  This is a commandment to show Christ through our relationship with our parents, with our elders.  Defying God’s will is not going to show God’s grace.  And just because your parents may not have been the best parents doesn’t mean that you are not to honor them.  Like myself, there’s probably a good chance that none of us were the ideal child as well.  This commandment is primarily about the building and strengthening of the family.  The relationship between a person and their parents is one that can have life-shaping effects.  As we’ve talked about in our women’s Bible study on Wednesday mornings, it is possible for a bad relationship with our earthly father to cause us issues when it comes to our relationship with our heavenly Father.


Friends, this commandment is God telling us that it isn’t all about us.  Remember, we said that this was the first of the six commandments dealing with how we are to interact with others in this world.  Don’t think for a second that it is a coincidence that the commandment that deals with family and caring for our parents is the first one.  As I mentioned just a moment ago, a right understanding of parental authority reverence, and honor will allow us to have a right view of God’s authority, reverence, and honor.  I know that for some, maintaining a quality relationship with your parents (or even your children) can seem like such a laborious task, but it’s worth it.  We are commanded by God to build this family bond, and we must do all that we can to fulfill this commandment just as we would any other.  Glory be to God; in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment