Monday, February 2, 2015

Matthew 5:8 "Blessed are the Pure in Heart"

                “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”  Well, as a means of beginning our look at this Beatitude, let’s do a bit of word study here shall we?  We’ve said that the word blessed means to be content, happy, or fully and greatly filled by God.  Next, the word pure; it means to be clean, unstained, undivided, guiltless, innocent, or upright.  We all know what purity is.  Purity is the presence of only what is supposed to be there and no trace of anything else.  If we were to drink completely pure water (which oddly enough cannot be achieved), then it would be water that is completely made up of water molecules with nothing else in it.  The next word that I want us to see is the word heart.  Now, the Greek word for heart is kardia, which we can easily connect with the word cardiac.  However, in the Greek world of this time, the heart was something much more than an organ (actually a muscle) that pumped blood to the rest of your body.  This word kardia meant not only heart, but mind, character, inner self, will, intention, or center.  In essence, the heart was seen as the central character of a person.  Their heart was who they were at their core, in every fiber of their being.  So, Jesus is saying here that “greatly filled by God are those who are completely guiltless and undivided in their core, in all that they are, because they will see God.”  Well, what does that mean?

                I want to take a moment and speak to the severity of this Beatitude.  You know, it’s one thing to be outwardly pure and to always make the right external choice, but it’s a whole different matter to be pure of heart, to be completely undivided between obedience and sin.  Mind you, this Beatitude, this statement from Jesus on how to live a Godly life, doesn’t say blessed are the pure in public, but blessed are the pure in heart, where we can’t see.  It’s not about just doing the right thing, following God’s will, but it’s about not even considering the wrong thing.  It’s about sin and disobedience to God never even being entertained in our minds; not even for one second.  I want to make my job this morning a little more difficult and I want to take you back to the prophet Jeremiah, to Jeremiah 17:9.  The prophet says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?  ‘I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.’”  Now, let that sink in for just a moment.  Jeremiah is telling us that off all the things of this world, the heart, the center of a person, is the most deceitful and corrupt thing there is.  Also, that God can see through all things to find what is truly in someone’s heart.  Now, how in the world can we read here that the heart is so wicked and deceitful and divided and sinful and yet be told by Jesus that it ought not to be?  How can we reconcile the notion that Jesus calls us to be completely pure and obedient in our hearts with the fact that Jeremiah says that the heart is the thing most incapable of such obedience and purity?  I mean, surely Jesus isn’t telling us to do something that we can’t do is he?  That would be a pretty lousy thing to throw out there wouldn’t it?  To set a standard that is not just seemingly unattainable but literally unachievable in order for us to see God.

                I want you to listen to some of the words that David puts forth in Psalm 51.  He says, “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse [purify] me from my sin (1-2)…Create in me a clean [pure] heart and renew a right spirit within me.”  Now this call of David to create within himself a pure heart uses the same word used in Genesis 1:1 of the creation of the heavens and the earth.  In other words, David was acknowledging the truth of Jeremiah’s statement (obviously well before Jeremiah himself spoke it) and saying that he needed God to create something in him that he was incapable of creating himself.  He didn’t just need God to come in and help him straighten up a bit, but to create something new that didn’t exist within David.  He knew that no matter what practices or habits he had in place or how noble his efforts, he could not create for himself a pure heart.  He could create something that on the outside looked pure, but he couldn’t change the inside.  So, I ask again, what hope do we have today of having pure hearts ourselves?  And again, surely Jesus wouldn’t set a standard that we can’t achieve?  Of course not, that’s what David just made clear.  He knew that God alone was capable of creating this pure heart within him.

                I want you to hear again the words of our call to worship, “Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord?  And who shall stand in his holy place?  He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully.”  Being pure of heart means that you are in essence single-minded (and I don’t mean that in a bad way).   Being pure in heart means that you don’t lift your heart up to vain, fleeting things.  It means that you don’t lift your heart up to both God and something else.  The pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, Tim Keller, says that “If you need something in addition to God to make you happy, that is your true King.”  You see, Keller, in this statement, is getting to the heart of what it means to be pure in heart.  If there is one thing that we say that we can’t worship God without, then that one thing has (consciously or unconsciously) taken the place of God in our lives.  Look, I know it’s hard to say that we’re going to focus upon Jesus no matter what.  If you’ve had a chance to read the newsletter for this month already, then you probably can tell how much I’ve been wrestling with this notion all week.  I, like David in Psalm 51, know that I can’t do it.  I simply cannot create in myself a pure heart that seeks only God and the righteousness of his kingdom.  That’s why I have to cry out to him and beg him to come, send his Holy Spirit, and rip away all of the double-mindedness within me.  I have to ask God to strip away the things in my heart that cause me lose sight of him; both good and bad.  I have to ask him to not let my security and my selfish desires get in the way of obeying him just like I have to ask him to not let my love for my family and friends get in the way either.  Look at what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7, “I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband (32-34).”  Paul isn’t calling everyone to a life of singleness, but putting forth the truth about just how hard it is to serve and seek God alone.  We know it’s a tough thing; a thing that is only possible through Jesus Christ.

                Now, hoping that we’ve done a fair job of creating a vision for what it means to be pure in heart (or at least having seen how all-encompassing it is for someone to be so single-minded), I want to turn our attention to the blessing or promise of this Beatitude.  We are told that the pure in heart, “shall see God.”  Now, this word see could actually mean a litany of things.  It can be translated as to see, to look upon, or to experience.  Can you imagine such a reality?  To get to see, look upon, and experience God.  In other words, the pure in heart get to enjoy God, know God, and eventually be like Him (to a certain extent) forever in heaven.  You see, the heart that wants only for God will find Him.  The life that truly places God above all other things is a life that not only weathers all other storms, but is almost oblivious to them because they are so fixated upon God that everything else around them is of no consequence almost.

                The first time I met my mother-in-law was a bit of a disaster.  I was working at a church camp for a weekend when I was in college and my mother-in-law just happened to be with her church as a volunteer leader for that weekend, mind you that Amy was nowhere to be found.  We had only started dating a few weeks prior, but word had gotten out about our blossoming relationship.  Amy’s youth director from high school, a mutual friend, decided to call me over to introduce me to my girlfriend’s mother.  So nervous and so affixed upon getting to my destination and planning out all of the things that I wanted to say (or not say), I didn’t even notice the gigantic hole that was directly in my path.  I don’t have to tell you what happened other than I managed to walk away embarrassed but not injured.  You see, I was so focused upon getting to my now mother-in-law that I didn’t notice anything else around me.  When we fixate ourselves upon God and our obedience to him, we’re oblivious to the things around us.  We may walk away embarrassed or injured, but we won’t be worried about it.  The world may leave it’s scars, it may beat us up, but it is nothing compared to what our Savior endured.

                I don’t mean to make light of the single-mindedness that we are to have when follow Christ.  However, are we ever fully fixed upon him like we should be?  I don’t have time to go into like I would like to, but Romans 7 is a wonderful chapter for anyone to read who is struggling with the Christian life.  In Romans 7, the Apostle Paul, who many of us rightly look upon as the giant of biblical truth and Godly living, goes through and talks about his struggles.  He talks about how despite his wishes and desires, he finds himself in the midst of sin.  He finds himself unable to do what he wants to do and incapable of not doing the things he doesn’t want to do.  However, I want you to hear the final words of this chapter of Romans, “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin (24-25).” 

                You see, there it is.  How do we become pure in heart?  We cry out to God how wretched we truly are.  We thanks God for Jesus Christ.  We thank him that through his death and resurrection that we are able to have the mind of Christ.  We thank him that we have been given a gift that is above anything that we could ever ask for.  We pray that we would be give minds that seek Christ and Christ alone.  That’s not to say that there cannot be enjoyment and satisfaction and contentment with many of the things of this world.  It is merely to say that the thing that drives us must be Christ, it must be God’s kingdom, the spread of the gospel, and the glorification of His name.  To give you Tim Keller’s statement again, “If you need something in addition to God to make you happy, that is your true King.”  Does that describe you?  Are their things in your life (family, financials, comfort, security, occupational struggles) that you have to have resolved in order to feel true happiness and joy?  If so, there is no way that you can become pure in heart, single-minded towards God, until you cry out to God to remove them from His rightful place in your life.  However, all of these things ultimately end with the passing of this life, but our being single-minded for God ends in our experiencing Him for all eternity.  Doesn’t seem like a tough choice does it?  Then what’s stopping us from seeking only God this day?

No comments:

Post a Comment