Sunday, February 15, 2015

Matthew 5:10 "Blessed are the Persecuted"

                I’ve always been a convicted person.  I’ve typically always had the right motives in mind, but I’ve always been one of those people who make a decision and stand behind it no matter what.  It used to infuriate my parents when I was younger.  “Why can’t you just give a little bit?  Why do you have to be so stubborn?”  Well, the good news for them is that about 10 years ago it became more of Amy’s problem; although they do still have to deal with it from time-to-time.  When I was a kid I was out playing with some friends of mine with our bb guns, which as far as we were concerned were high powered sniper rifles.  We were in the woods behind one of my friend’s house when we discovered an abandoned building.  It was decided upon by the group that we were going to start shooting our bb guns at various places on this old building.  All of a sudden, a cat came walking out.  One of my friends decided, “Hey let’s shoot the cat.”  Now, I don’t know what it is with me, but I have this weird thing about killing animals.  I won’t bat an eye when it comes to shooting a dove, turkey, deer, or any other animal as long as I’m hunting it.  However, if it’s an animal that isn’t supposed to be hunted, then I don’t deal with death very well.  My mom can probably still tell you about the week-long mourning for my pet hamster, which ended in a 30 minutes funeral service that I conducted when I was in elementary school.  But getting back to my friends, I told them that they needed to stop shooting the cat because it hadn’t done anything to them.  However, they had already gotten used to trying to shoot a moving target, so guess where their crosshairs turned to next?  That’s right, I got real used to dodging enemy fire that day.  I’m just glad none of them were good shots or had guns strong enough to shoot as far as I ran.

                Why do I tell you this story?  Well, as I was running from my friends, I couldn’t help but think “This is not what I had in mind when I spoke up.  I was only doing the right thing and this is what I get for it?”  “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”  Now, I’ll admit that saving a cat may not be the most righteous of acts, but you get the idea.  Do you know what the primary complaint that I hear from people who are struggling with their faith is?  I hear many folks say that they didn’t know that it was going to be so hard to be a Christian in this world.  They didn’t expect persecution; they didn’t expect hatred from the world around them.  We mentioned last Sunday that the world many times laughs at calling Christians peacemakers because Christians seem to be the ones who don’t let peace happen.  Also, remember that peace, as far as we Christians are concerned, is much more than simply the absence of conflict.  Paul, writing to the younger Timothy, encouraged him by reminding him on the presence of persecution.  Paul wrote to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3 saying, “You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, my persecutions and sufferings that happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra—which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me.  Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

                Now, I’m going to take some time next Sunday and go through some of the persecutions and conflicts that we face in this life and in our society today, so I don’t want to give everything away today.  However, I want you to either follow along in your Bibles or just listen as I read these words from Matthew 10:16-25.  “Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.  Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues, and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles.  When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour.  For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.  Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death, and you will be hated by all for my name's sake.  But the one who endures to the end will be saved.  When they persecute you in one town, flee to the next, for truly, I say to you, you will not have gone through all the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.  A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.  It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master.  If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.”

                You see, anyone who doesn’t know that persecution is part of the Christian life, part of this blessed life, simply hasn’t been paying attention.  Numerous times throughout his earthly ministry, most notably in the text that we just read, Jesus told his disciples that persecution is going to happen.  We’ve already seen that it was part of the Apostle Paul’s teaching.  We spent a great deal of time reading and looking closely at the book of Acts a while back.  We walked through the history of the establishment of the early church.  If you will recall, during that look, persecution was the norm for what the apostles faced.  The second half of Acts 5 tells the story of the apostles being arrested and beaten (flogged) in front of the crowds.  They weren’t treated as such because they opposed God, but because they were speaking and teaching and preaching in the name of Jesus.  You see, it was because of the name of Jesus that the apostles faced hardships.  I was because of the name of Jesus that Stephen was put to death.  It was because of the name of Jesus that Paul was persecuted at almost every moment of his life.  It is because of the name of Jesus that so many Christian martyrs are put to death each year.  It is because of the name of Jesus that we are under attack today.  Folks are fine with agreeing that there is some higher power out there who is over all things.  Some are even alright with attaching the name God to this higher power.  However, it is when we bring Jesus, as the Son of God, into the equation that things start to get a little uneasy.  It’s then when those folks start pointing to Christians and saying that we are the divisive ones who just can’t get along or play well with others.

                Look, we all know that we go through hardships in life.  They are a part of life whether we like it or not.  However, are you suffering just in general or are you suffering for the name of Christ?  Is your suffering an earthly one or are you suffering for as Jesus called it “righteousness’ sake”?  Is your suffering because of your faith?  People get sick.  People die.  Those are natural sufferings.  What I’m talking about is if you are suffering for the glorification of God’s kingdom and the spread of his gospel.  I’ll be honest with y’all, I’ve lost a lot of friends over the past few years of my life.  If you’ve got any unwanted friends in your life I know how to get rid of them.  Tell them that you’re going to become a pastor.  Tell them that you have felt God place a specific calling upon your life and that you will spend the rest of your life leading God’s people however he calls you.  Now, I know that not everyone is called into pastoral ministry, but even if you tell someone that you have made a newer and deeper commitment to Christ, some people will try and drop you like a bad habit.  You see, we’re all called into ministry.  Martin Luther referred to this as the priesthood of all believers.  “Whoever comes out of the water of baptism can boast that he is already a consecrated priest, bishop, and pope, although of course it is not seemly that just anybody should exercise such office….There is no true, basic difference between laymen and priests….except for the sake of office and work, but not for the sake of status.”

                I talk to a lot of people throughout the week via social media, text messaging, and email that have all known me for quite a while.  They knew me prior to my call to ministry and so they have seen the sort of two periods of my life, the pre-pastoral and pastoral stages of my life.  They often share stories with me about friendships that get severed and lost because of one growing in their faith and their love for the gospel while the other grows more in their consumption of the world.  Like I said, I’m going to really get into the opposition that exists between our culture and our faiths next Sunday, but I think this one example will help us in clarifying what it means to suffer for righteousness’ sake.  One of my friends confided in me that he and someone who was in his wedding were no longer friends because of a recent discovery that his friend had as to his being a homosexual.  Nothing divisive happened between them, but my friend just thought that for the sake of his relationship with the Lord that he didn’t need to spend all that time around this non-repentant sinner.  He would love to witness to him, to exemplify that being a peacemaker that we saw last Sunday, but that’s not what his friend wants.  His friend wants to act like nothing has changed except for instead of his being married to his wife; he’s now divorced and dating men.  My friend’s stance, which he made clear to his friend, caused all the friendship to stop.  His newly realized homosexual friend began to hurl insults at him and degrade him and call him everything under the sun except a nice guy.  Mutual friends of theirs began to hate my friend for being so closed-minded that he would turn his back on his friend because of what some book says.  Obviously anyone who can look at Scripture as just some book isn’t a heart that has heard the call of God and run to him yet.  But as my friend was telling me this story, he said, “I was just trying to follow God’s commands.  I was just trying to do the right thing.”  Immediately my mind went back to that cat coming out of that abandoned building.

                When you stand for righteousness, when you stand for the gospel, how comfortable are you?  Or let me put it like this, are you having rocks thrown at you or bb’s shot at you when you stand close to Jesus.  Now, in our country today, these things rarely literally happen, but you get what I mean.  If you’re so comfortable in your faith that you don’t feel persecuted, that you don’t feel even just the slightest bit at odds with the world around you, then maybe you’re not as close to Jesus as you think.  Now, I’m not trying to tell everyone that they’re wrong in their faiths.  What I’m trying to get across is that if you don’t feel persecution from the outside world, then something isn’t right.  If you don’t feel like this broken, fallen, and sinful world is at odds with what you believe in your heart to be right and true, then you have to ask yourself if you truly understand the gospel.  Like I said, we’re going to get into the contrast between this blessed life that we’ve spent the past two months looking at and the successful life as the world defines it next Sunday.  But in the meantime, I want all of you to take this list of eight things and to think them over.  Do I mourn my sin?  Do I long for Jesus above all other things?  Do I extend mercy?  Am I persecuted by a world that looks different than me or am I just another part of the world?  And I want you to bring those answers with you next Sunday as we conclude this series on the Beatitudes.  You see, a blessed life doesn’t necessarily mean successful life in terms of wealth and fame.  It doesn’t mean easy life.  It can be those things, but it doesn’t have to be.  The Blessed life means a life that is filled by God, and that is a life that puts us directly at odds with all the sin of the world that surrounds us every day.  But just know, that in that persecution, that is where true blessedness lies.  “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment