Sunday, November 23, 2014

Acts 1:7-8 "It's About Going, Not Just Gathering"

                When I finish something I like to stop and ask myself several questions.  What is it that I just saw?  What was actually accomplished here?  How did this experience change me or my outlook on things?  Was this something that was impactful or was it just a waste of time, energy, resources, etc.?  In other words, I like to try and figure out the differences in myself, the world around me, or the thing I’m dealing with from beginning to end.  Did a book I just read change the way I feel about something?  Did that particular experience open my eyes to something new?  I recently built a table out of some old pine boards that Amy and I repurposed.  I enjoyed being able to see that I had taken this group of old canning room shelves and turn them into a table that our entire family can eat at.  There was a sense of accomplishment to my finally being done with that table (although I won’t tell you how long we had held onto those boards before beginning that project).  The transformation from stained and tattered boards to a 9 foot farm table was tangible and easily identifiable. 

                Well, we’ve spent the past seven months looking at the growth of the early church.  However, we really haven’t stopped to think about how far it has come.  We’ve spent so much time lately talking about Paul and his missionary journeys and imprisonments and trials that some of us have probably forgotten how this all began.  Remember, the book of Acts began in the immediate aftermath of Jesus’ resurrection.  Fast-forward thirty years later and we have Paul sitting in Rome proclaiming the gospel (something that would have been out of the question at the start of Acts).  The questions that I want to both ask and answer today about Acts are the same ones that I mentioned just a moment ago.  What is it that we’ve just seen?  What was it that was actually accomplished?  How did this experience change things?  And was this impactful or just a big waste of time?

                What is it that we’ve just seen?  Well, in short, we’ve just seen the spread of the gospel.  As I said, Paul teaching about Christianity in Rome would have been unimaginable thirty years earlier.  It would have surely ended up with his execution taking place much quicker than it actually did.  It’s commonly thought that Paul spent an additional 5 years in Rome after his imprisonment teaching prior to his being martyred by Nero.  What we see over the course of the 28 chapters of Acts is people convert, leaders emerge, missionary journeys…in short, we see gospel expansion.  We could also say that these same things answer the question about what was actually accomplished.  Remember Jesus’ words to the apostles that we read just a moment ago, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”  That’s exactly what happened.  Chapter 2 tells of the coming of the Holy Spirit and his descending upon the apostles.  The rest of the text from then through the end of chapter 7 is about witnessing in Jerusalem.  Chapters 8-12 are about witnessing in Judea and Samaria, and chapters 13-20 about witnessing in other areas (the end of the earth).  So, what we see over the course of the book of Acts is a fulfillment of Jesus’ final words to his disciples.

                It almost seems comical to ask the questions of how this changed things or if this was all just a waste of time doesn’t it?  However, I think that the answer to these questions is a crucial one.  You see, it is without debate (in my opinion) that the single most significant event in human history is the death and resurrection of Jesus.  Even for those who don’t believe that it happened; it is still the most significant historical event.  Why?  Well, it’s because that one event became the dividing line so-to-speak for entire groups of people.  Think about it in terms of today and think of the number of groups out there that hate Christians.  In other words, there are people who hate those who simply come down on the other side of the argument from them as to the significance of the death and resurrection of Jesus.  Well, the book of Acts is really the first generation of this division and distinction playing itself out.  The book of Acts is but a foretaste of the persecution and hardships that Christians have known ever since Jesus’ ascension.

                I’ve got a good friend of mine who about once a year me and him, along with several other friends, try and get together at his family’s fishing camp in north Louisiana.  We spend all day running trot lines, fishing, smoking barbeque, and just enjoying each other’s company.  Now, when we’re all out there, his dad will usually gives us a list of things to do while we’re there around the house.  Usually it’s basic maintenance things that we don’t mind doing since we’re all using his place.  However, there was one time a few years back when he wanted us to move a pile of scrap wood from one place to another.  Notice that I said he just wanted us to move it.  He didn’t want us to burn it, use it, stack it neatly, or anything else that might be noticeable or productive.  He literally just wanted us to move the stack from one spot to another that was only about 10 feet away.  Now, we did it, but after completing it none of us felt like we had really accomplished anything.

                I don’t get that same sense when I think about the book of Acts.  Even though there seemed to be hostility towards Christians from beginning to end, I feel like something had changed.  It just seems that when we see the growth of the church over the 28 chapters of the book of Acts that even though Christianity had not become what we think of today, it had still reached a pretty substantial point by the end of Acts.  So, things changed greatly and obviously it wasn’t a waste of time.  In fact, even if no one in the book of Acts was converted to Christianity it wouldn’t have been a waste of time.  Remember, Jesus didn’t say that his disciples would convert others, but that they would simply be his witnesses.  Their mission wasn’t to convert but to proclaim.  It’s just like our mission isn’t to convert but to proclaim.  I said a few weeks ago that one of the great comforts that I have come to take as both a pastor and a Christian is that I know that it’s not my job to convert people to the Christian faith.  My only job is to be a faithful witness and proclaimer of the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  It’s God’s job to convert someone, not mine.  I would be in a world of trouble if it was up to me and my abilities, but it’s not.

                Now, getting back to the task at hand, what really happened during the book of Acts?  Just think about what you would say if someone asked you to quickly explain what took place within this particular book.  Well, we could quickly say that the gospel went forth.  However, if they wanted a little more detail we could give that to them.  We could talk about the sermons, the signs, the healings, the preaching, the apostles, and the martyrs.  We would certainly mention Paul’s conversion and his subsequent ministry and travels.  We would probably give great attention to the life of Paul in describing the book of Acts.  However, remember what I said last Sunday; the book of Acts is about the gospel and not one person or a group of people.  I heard a phrase this past week that brilliantly summed up the view that we ought to take of any biblical figure other than Jesus:  “the man goes in the ground and the message moves on.”  You see, the point, the theme of the book of Acts really is the going forth of the gospel.  The book of Acts is both the initial spread of the gospel after Christ’s resurrection and the establishment of Christ’s bride as well.  Remember that it’s in the book of Acts that we first find Christ’s followers referred to as Christians (11:26). 

                As we’ve looked at the book of Acts, one of the questions that I have been encouraging each of us to keep in mind is how the practices and focuses of the early church ought to shape our views, outlooks, and goals for our own churches today.  Now, we saw things that gave order to the church; we saw Deacons established to care for the needs of the congregations.  We saw Paul go and establish churches and put leaders in place.  We even saw regular times of worship practiced by each church.  However, I want to tell you what we didn’t see (and these are just my observations).  We didn’t see a lot of bickering and fighting over trivial things.  Sure, we know that it took place; we can tell that from Paul’s letters.  However, it wasn’t something that Luke (as the author of Acts) focused upon.   Even the things that were disputed were serious theological matters, as opposed to the fact that most of the fighting that we see in churches today (which is over music selections or what we keep the thermostat set on).  The church in Acts seemed to be focused upon the entirety of the life of the church instead of just the Sabbath day worship.  The Christians of this time seemed to display their faith much more on a daily basis than just a once a week type of thing that ashamedly many Christians today practice.

                However, as I look at Acts and I think about things that I see and don’t see when compared to the church, there is one thing that stands out above all:  the focus was on “go” much more than “gather”.  Now, let me explain this statement.  As I’ve already said, there’s no denying that we see the early church gather regularly for worship.  There’s no question that we’re called to gather together for regular corporate worship.  However, the congregations in the early church seem to have a much higher view of “going out” with the gospel.  They seem to have a greater importance placed upon the taking outward and proclaiming God’s word.  You see, that’s one of the great fallacies of the modern American church in my opinion.  We’ve come to look at ourselves so much like businesses and pastors as CEOs and Sessions as Boards that we’ve lost sight of what we are supposed to be founded upon.  Instead of gospel proclamation and kingdom growth being the intended goal we’ve come to focus upon just maintaining the company.  There’s more thought given to building improvements and upgrades than how we’re ministering to the community around us.  There’s more attention paid to whether or not budgets are sufficient than to the work that supported missionaries are doing.  There’s a sense that the focus in on simply continuing to gather together for worship is more important than proclaiming God’s word to those outside of the church.  I think that many churches in America today have chosen to make their mission statement “Lord, just let us continue to exist” instead of “Lord, use us however you see fit.” 

                I was talking with a pastor friend of mine several months ago and he was telling me about his church and that he had looked at the numbers and he thought that they could squeeze about 10 more years out of their resources if things went right.  They cut all programs and everything because they needed to in order to survive.  Not trying to insult my friend, I simply asked him, “So, how are y’all glorifying God?  How are you reaching out into the community?  How are you fulfilling the Great Commission by running the church that way?”  My friend looked at me with what was at first an angry look and said, “We’re not.”  He quickly began to weep and sob and confess that he had focused upon just existing instead of proclaiming.  We prayed, we talked honestly, and he thanked me for helping him to refocusing his priorities.

                Now, y’all I’m going to do something that I’ve gone back and forth about all week.  You see, we’re not in a place to dissimilar from my friend’s church.  This very church is at the crossroads of simply existing or actually going out into the world.  I want to ask you a tough question:  what do you do for the kingdom?  What do you do to take God’s word out into the world?  Is your faith more than just gathering for worship on Sunday mornings or is that the extent of it?  Now, I know that the answering machine may be filled up when I come in to the office tomorrow, but I don’t really care.  Part of my calling is to say the things that we need to hear and not just what we want to hear.  Y’all, we’ve spent 7 months looking at the formation and work of the early church.  How has it affected us?  Has it stirred us to a greater emphasis on getting back to that mindset of going out and being God’s witnesses, or has that central message fallen on deaf ears?  You see, to me it’s pretty clear, between Jesus’ words in the Great Commission and what we have here in the book of Acts, I know that our mission as a church, as the bride of Christ, is to be much more than simply existing, making budget, maintaining, etc.  I know that our mission is to boldly take God’s word and the good news of the gospel out into the world.  The question now becomes, are we actually doing that, or are we failing in our mission and focusing upon something else?  Glory be to God; in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment