Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Long Journey Nearing the End

Ever since I was a little boy I can remember my parents teaching me the saying, "If it is meant to be then it will be." This statement has been something that over the years I have pointed to as my Southern Baptist friends (as well as my father's family) as their recognition of predestination without wanting to give it such wording.
During the fall of 2005 the coast of the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama were disrupted by Hurricane Katrina. In addition to the catastrophic tragedies on the immediate coastline, there were effects felt all over my home state of Mississippi. Most of my family resides south of Interstate 20 and experienced some damage. Amy and I had been married for a month and were without power after the storm so we decided to go and check on our family. During our travels across the state we began to talk about the future. The topic of church came up and I told Amy of the sense of call that I had for entering ministry. I had been hiding from this call for so long and didn't want to deal with more schooling. Amy simply asked me, "Who do you think you are running from?" There it was, the most obvious of questions. I knew what it was that I had to do. I finished out my time as a high school teacher to fulfill some scholarship obligations and as of the summer of 2007 I was about to enter the seminary life.
Beginning with an intense Greek class in July 2007 and continuing up through the present I have completed a total of 96 of the required 106 hours needed for a Master of Divinity at Reformed Theological Seminary. It has been an amazing journey. A journey that I didn't expect, but that God knew about long before it was ever mentioned during that car ride across the state. I do not know what the future holds for me in terms of my ministry, but I am certain that there is a plan. I am completely confident that God has already determined exactly where and what my ministry is to be. Never again will I rule something out simply because of my personal thoughts. God has always been, is currently, and will always be in complete control of my life and the lives of all of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment