Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Matthew 5:6 "Blessed are Those Who Hunger and Thirst for Righteousness"

                Before we really begin looking at this Beatitude today I want to start off by asking each of you a question.  However, before I can ask you that question I have to ask you to take your mind out of the church setting.  In other words, I don’t want the church answer.  You know…if you ask a kid in church what’s brown furry and has a tail, then they’ll answer you by saying either Jesus or God even though everything in them is telling them that the answer is a squirrel.  I don’t want that.  I want you to be completely honest with yourself here.  I want you to at least let down your guard with yourself to answer one simple question.  What is your desire in life?  What is it in life that you want more than anything else?  What is that one thing that if you could have you would want above anything else?  Now I know that that answer tends to change over time.  When I was a kid it was to be great at sports.  I got older and it became about the right car, the right college, and eventually the right girl.  I became a parent and my desires shifted from myself to my children.  I know that as people get diagnosed with certain diseases and illnesses that their main focus is upon beating whatever afflicts them.  So, I know that our desires change over time, but what about our number one desire?

                Well, that’s what’s at the heart of this Beatitude, the fourth Beatitude.  We’ve looked at three Beatitudes thus far that deal with our needs, with our emptying of ourselves.  Blessed are the poor (empty) in spirit, those who mourn their sin, and those who are meek (humble before God).  Well, now we come to something a little bit different.  Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones says that this fourth Beatitude is the statement to which the first three lead.  He says that it is the logical conclusion to which they come.  “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”  Let’s change the wording up a bit so that it reads, “Greatly filled by God are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.”  Now, before we deal with the rest of this verse, I want to flush out the severity of several words here.  Unfortunately, in translating these words from Greek to English and now finding ourselves in the age that we are in, we lack some understanding in these areas.

                The first few words I want to look at are the words translated “hunger” and “thirst”.  Do we have any idea what it’s like to actually hunger or thirst?  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been hungry and thirsty before, but I mean real hunger and real thirst.  I mean you don’t feel like you have anything strength to go on and you would give anything for a morsel of food or a sip of water and it just isn’t anywhere to be found.  I don’t think many of us understand hunger or thirst in that sense.  You see, these two words carry with them a sense of need and an earnest desire.  In other words, it’s as if they are so vital that they are the most important things of this world. 

Let me place my finger there to hold my place and just really quickly look at the second word that I want us to look at; the object of this hunger and thirst, the word “righteousness.”  Righteousness has to do with a purity that is up to God’s standard.  It has to do with being completely without sin and receiving God’s divine approval.  We need only look to Romans 1 to find Paul exposition of what righteousness truly is; “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.  For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, ‘The righteous shall live by faith.’”  Friends, Paul is saying that the gospel reveals the righteousness of God to us, and what the gospel reveals to us is Jesus.  Jesus is the righteousness of God revealed.  Jesus is the righteousness, the purity, the perfection of God revealed and made available to us.

                Ok.  So, if we go back and understand righteousness in terms of Jesus as God’s revealed righteousness then this verse now reads, “Greatly filled by God are those who deeply desire and deeply need the righteousness of God that is Jesus Christ, for they will be filled.”  Now, before I finish this all the way through, I want to talk about this word “filled.”  It could also be translated as satisfied, fed, or fattened.  You get the picture don’t you?  This isn’t just a “I’m not hungry or thirsty anymore”, but a “I’m so full that just the thought of eating or drinking anything else will make my stomach hurt.”  I want to invite you to turn to two passages in the gospel of John, the first in chapter 4 between Jesus and the woman at the well.  “The Samaritan woman said to Jesus, ‘How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?’  Jesus answered her, ‘If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, “Give me a drink,” you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.’  The woman said to him, ‘Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep.  Where do you get that living water?  Are you greater than our father Jacob?  He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock.’  Jesus said to her, ‘Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.  The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.’  The woman said to him, ‘Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.’”  The second text that I want us to see in John’s gospel is 6:35, “Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.’” 

                What does all this really mean?  What does it mean to hunger and thirst for righteousness?  It means to place Jesus as that number one desire in our lives.  I opened up by asking you what your greatest desire in life is?  How many of us can honestly answer that question by saying Jesus.  My wife has read all the Harry Potter books and we’ve each seen the movies numerous times.  In one of the first few books/movies, there is this mirror, the Mirror of Erised.  This mirror, when you looked at it would show you your deepest desire, the thing that you wanted most in this world.  How many of us could look into that mirror and see Jesus standing beside us?  Now, I certainly don’t want to offend, but I don’t think many of us would.  We would see ourselves surrounded by our family, healed of our infirmities, living the life of luxury, or finally hitting that target weight or status in life.  Now, none of these things seem dangerous or sinful in and of themselves, but think back to those words that we just looked at from John’s gospel.  Jesus, the well of living water and the bread of life, is the only source of true fulfillment.  Seeking and desiring for other things outside of Christ may provide temporary relief, but they will never fully satisfy.

I want us to see what I view as Jesus’ commentary on what it means to hunger and thirst for righteousness, to hunger and thirst for him.  You only have to turn in your Bible one page, Matthew 6:25, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?  And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?  And why are you anxious about clothing?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow:  they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.  But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’  For the Gentiles [or pagans] seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.  But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

                Christ knows what we need.  Christ knows what we need better than we do.  This is the promise of God spoken through His Son that he will care for our every need.  Now, I’m going to hit close to home for you for just a second.  None of us live without worrying; therefore we fail to live up to Jesus’ words here.  I heard someone say recently that many of us look at Jesus as being of great use in the afterlife, but as for this life, we feel the need to work for ourselves and get what we can for ourselves.  Friends, this Beatitude doesn’t say, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for happiness, for their needs will be met.”  It says that we are to desperately and deeply desire Christ above all others so that we will be filled with him.  If we are able to place Christ as our deepest desire, then there is no need to worry about things of this life because Christ has promised to care for our every need.  Unfortunately, virtually none of us can actually say that Christ is our deepest desire.  We desire our comfort, our luxury, our security, and even our continued existence.  Yes we need to care more about Jesus than we do about our own lives.  Yes, I know how hard/impossible that actually is.  It is completely impossible for us to reach this point.  It’s impossible on our own.  However, we have the righteousness of God, Jesus Christ, revealed to us and made available to us.  We can rest on the promises of God.  We’re not Old Testament Israel; we’re not waiting for the Messiah.  He’s come, he’s died, he’s risen, he’s conquered sin, and he’s ascended into heaven.  He’s achieved for us what we cannot and could not on our own.  There is nothing greater than that which he has given to us.  Therefore, our number one desire in this world should be to come to know him as closely and as intimately as we can.  And when we do that, everything else will take care of itself, not necessarily because it will be easy, but because we will be so filled, fed, fattened, and satisfied with the love, mercy, and grace of Christ, that nothing else will matter.  Glory be to God; in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment