Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Facebook, Twitter, and....the Book of Acts?

                I couldn’t help but laugh the other day when my wife took a picture and couldn’t move fast enough to get it instantly uploaded to Facebook.  After getting it loaded and putting a little comment about what the picture was, she began to check back periodically to see how many “likes” her picture got.  I remember thinking to myself how foolish we have all become (and by we, I mean all of us and not specifically my wife).  Our current age of social media and blogs and instant access has created monsters…US.  We are the monsters; craving nothing but more access and information as fast as we can get it.

Look, I’m just as guilty of it as anyone else.  I check my social media accounts on my smartphone far too often.  We had a guy come in to church the other day and after talking to him and finding out his name I got on Facebook and Twitter and typed it in…nothing!  What do you mean no Facebook?  What do you mean he doesn’t have a Twitter account?  How and I going to find out more about this person without a little social media stalking?  Well, it turns out that going to lunch with him and actually having a conversation was a pretty good way of finding out who he really is and what he’s all about.

You know, when you really sit back and think about the social media phenomenon and all that goes with it, it’s quite amazing.  The problem is that many times it’s amazingly bad.  We all know that girl who got fired over posting inappropriate pictures on Facebook.  Some of us even have a friend that called in sick to work and was then caught "tweeting" from Florida when he was supposed to be home in bed.  We’ve seen friendships ruined over misinterpreted status updates, relationships shattered over incriminating picture tags, and arguments started over reactionary responses to current news stories.  So, I ask myself quite often, “With all of this bad, what good actually comes from social media?”

Well, for starters, it’s a great way to stay connected.  We live in a world that is moving further and further apart.  Generations ago, it was unheard of for more than a handful of folks to leave a hometown and never return.  Now, we move so often it’s hard to remember which place we actually call our hometown.  Social media is also a great way to share positive stories, discuss social matters (to an extent), and reconnect with friends we thought we would never see again.  It’s also a great way for us to show off our kids and families to our friends that they most likely will never meet.

However, of all of the things that I have found things like Facebook and Twitter to be good at, they have been the best at allowing me to fulfill Jesus' instructions to his disciples in Acts 1:8, “You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”  You see, I don’t know where the end of the earth is, but I’m pretty sure that I may never actually make it there in person (yes, I know that spheres don’t have ends).  However, through the technology of social media, smartphones, blogs, etc., I can reach out across the world with my words.  I can post a blog article here in south Louisiana and someone in Russia find it and be encouraged by it (which has happened).  I can post a status update quoting the inspiring and convicting words of Dietrich Bonhoeffer while waiting for a fish to bite my line only to have a friend in Turkey be renewed by my post.  I can randomly throw out a text of Scripture speaking to the gift of marriage and have it help someone to see that they are neglecting their spouse.  You see, there are numerous good things that can come about through our use of social media.  The question with social media (as with anything else in life) is how we are going to us it.

Sure, we could run around spreading hatred and bigotry (which contrary to what some folks think, that is not the goal of Christians).  We could post nothing but insults and messages of anger (with the occasional happy birthday message thrown in).  However, we can also use it to proclaim God’s Word.  I can’t tell you how many articles I find “shared” on Facebook or "tweeted out" that have been of tremendous blessing to both myself and my ministry.  Yes, I’m well aware of the fact that when we look at Facebook that we find someone who one day posts videos of a laughing cat and the next day has figured out the best way to run the country.  I’m well aware of the fact that Facebook is only a step below Wikipedia in the reliability department.  However, I also know that through the use of the internet (websites, blogs, social media, etc.), that we stand at a point in time of endless possibility.  There is no excuse for our not taking the gospel outward.  After all, you never know when something that you post today that brings glory to God won’t be the thing that leads someone else to see that glory at another time and in another place.

No comments:

Post a Comment