Sunday, October 26, 2014

Acts 24:1-27 "You Have Already (Been) Chosen"

                This past weekend my whole family went to Vicksburg, MS for a presbytery meeting.  No, that’s not really our idea of a good time, although we did have one.  Amy grew up in Vicksburg and wanted to go see her home church that we haven’t set foot in in probably 5 years.  When we travel in the car, our kids all watch movies in the backseat together.  What’s funny is that no matter how long the trip, each one of them wants to watch just one movie.  It’s a different movie each time, but they just want to watch the same one on repeat.  We’ve often sat in the front seat and thought, “When are they going to get tired of this movie?”  We’ve even used some of them so often that the discs quit working and we’ve had to buy new ones.  As I listened to the same movie for the 5th time in 2 days yesterday I thought about my own childhood and if I had a movie that I liked that much as a kid.  I have several that I can quote almost verbatim, but there was one that myself and my parents used to always watch together.  Ok, it wasn’t one movie, but a collection of them.  You see, we used to love Ernest P. Worrell.  For some reason, that character, played by actor Jim Varney, always had a way of keeping us laughing no matter what was going on in the world around us.  If you don’t know what I’m talking about, well I’m sorry.

                One of our favorite ones was called Ernest Goes to Jail.  In that movie (you guessed it) Ernest was wrongfully sent to prison, and the movie follows him as he is let free and the rightful bank robbers arrested.  Well, as we bring our study of the book of Acts to a close, much of the final chapters could be entitled Paul Goes to Jail or more aptly, Paul Stands Trial.  You see, the Apostle Paul had, at this point, completed his third and final missionary journey.  He had become one of the leaders in the church.  He had become one of the primary missionaries of the church.  But he had also become one of the most hated men in the world by those outside of the Christian faith, particularly the Jews.  Since our time last Sunday looking at Paul’s farewell address to the Ephesian elders, Paul endured a lot of hardships.  Paul went to Jerusalem and while being there was arrested.  He spoke to some the tribune in an effort to gain his freedom, but it didn’t help.  While he was in custody, there were some Jews who devised a plot to kill Paul during a prisoner transport of sorts.  Finally, it became apparent that Paul couldn’t just be held without a trial.  Paul was one of those people that everyone had an opinion on, so they brought him before Felix, the governor of Jerusalem.  And it’s there where our text for today begins.

                We see that as the trial began, Tertullus, the one prosecuting Paul, spent as much time flattering Felix as he did actually presenting the case.  Now, amidst the flattery, he eventually laid out what were three charges against Paul.  He said that Paul was a plague, stirring up riots; he was the ringleader of a sect; and that he tried to profane the temple.  So, he was essentially charging him with disturbing the peace, cultivating heresy, and desecrating the holy temple of God.  You know, it’s kind of funny when you think about it.  These charges were essentially the same things that were brought against Jesus during his trial.  I have to think that Paul found great satisfaction in this fact.  Now, I’m sure that Paul didn’t enjoy his being arrested and put on trial, but at least he could take solace in the fact that he was facing the same charges that Jesus faced.  You can pretty much know that you’re doing something the right way when your actions lead to your being put in the same company as Jesus.  Also, it shows how the world really hadn’t changed that much from the time of Jesus’ trial to Paul’s imprisonment.  After all, it hadn’t been that long since Jesus’ time, but think about if it happened today where we live.  Yes, I know that the world is a completely different place, but I would be willing to bet that if we showed the same zeal for Christ that Paul showed, then we would gain a completely different opinion.  However, that is an entirely different discussion for a different day.

                After hearing the charges brought against him, Paul was given the chance to respond and defend himself. Beginning in verse 10 Paul goes through and debunks each of the charges against him, and notice that nowhere in his defense did he attempt to flatter Felix the way that Tertullus had before making his arguments.  Paul wasn’t concerned with his freedom, but his only concern was remaining true to the calling that God had placed upon his life, to share the gospel.  Summing up Paul argument, he simply stated that he most certainly was not a plague, not a troublemaker; he was merely a follower of the Way and not the ringleader of some heretical sect; and that he was not desecrating the temple but that he was performing the acts commanded of those prior to worship.  Paul even added that the only reason why he was on trial was because of the personal vendetta that some Jews had against him.

                After hearing both sides of the argument, Felix did his best impression of a politician during an election year and stalled.  I saw a commercial the other day for a race here in Louisiana and the candidate basically threw out a few topics, but said nothing other than that we need to fix them.  Well, he may be right, but how did he plan to fix them?  I don’t know, he never said.  Now he may have a plan and I may just be uninformed, but his commercial didn’t seem to really indicate any choices that he had made or would make going forward.  Perhaps an even better analogy would be to compare Felix to the Supreme Court of today and their selected inactivity on some cases recently.  You see, Felix knew that Paul was innocent of what he was being charged with.  He knew just as much as Pontius Pilate knew that Jesus was innocent.  However, like Pilate, Felix was also faced with outside pressure.  Felix was just a man trying to get by.  We know from historical records that Felix wasn’t really fit for this job.  The end of our text tells us that he lasted only two more years in this role before being removed.  You see, Felix was just trying to please everyone, but he knew that a decision (one way or the other) would cause him problems.  He knew that Paul was innocent, but he also wanted to make his constituents happy.

                A couple of weeks ago, Brian Houston, the senior pastor for Hillsong Church, which is based out of New York but has a network of churches across the globe, made national news by straddling the fence when it came to the issue of homosexuality.  What happened was that he was asked about the recent indecision of the Supreme Court that I referred to earlier and his response was that the issue of homosexual marriage was “an ongoing conversation.”  Of course this statement prompted follow-up questions about what he stance on the issue was and if it had changed from what he previously believed.  Houston tried to side-step the issue, but as he found out rather quickly, he couldn’t.  Back in June, Al Mohler, the president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, had stated that there is no third view of same-sex marriages.  You either view them as acceptable or they aren’t.  It’s the same thing that we said about C.S. Lewis’ view of Jesus in Mere Christianity; he is either Lord, a liar, or a lunatic.  There is no other way to view it.  In essence, everyone has to decide between a limited set of choices, and that just makes us mad because we don’t like having limits placed upon us.

I can remember my parents letting me choose my punishment when I was a kid.  “Tommy, you can either give up your car for a week or you can stay home for the entire weekend; those are your two choices.”  I remember many times trying to spring for a third option and come up with something that wasn’t nearly as harsh.  However, my father would always quickly correct me by saying, “I’m sorry, I could have sworn that there were only two choices, so pick one before you get both of them.”  You see, I really didn’t want to decide, but I had to make a choice.  Felix really didn’t want to decide here either.  However, his choice to not act was really a choice to act in favor of the Jews, even if it didn’t go as far as they might have wanted.  It’s just like the Supreme Court’s inaction, which favored one side over the other even though it wasn’t exactly what the winning side originally wanted.

You see, there is no such thing as indecision.  Even when we seek out neutrality, we still end up promoting one side over the other.  Even when we don’t want to make a choice, we’re making one.  We are all going to have to decide; WE MUST DECIDE.  However, the ultimate decision that we have to make isn’t between two bad choices.  It’s not like a political election where we’re just kind of picking between the lesser of two evils.  We are faced with a choice between life and death.  We’re faced with the choice between salvation and condemnation.  We’re faced with the choice between Jesus and the fallen world.  We’re faced with what the Apostle Paul refers to in his epistles as the spirit vs. the flesh.  Now, that may not seem like a difficult choice to you and I will acknowledge that some would say that my terminology stacks the deck for one side over the other, but that’s exactly the point.  You see, to me it’s not even really a choice.  To me it’s like if my parents had given me the choice between completely overlooking whatever it was that I had done or being punished rightly for it.  I wouldn’t hesitate for one second to take that deal before going with the forgiveness option and neither would you.

Well, those actually are our choices.  On the one hand we have Christ, the forgiveness of sins, the cross, and the salvation applied to us by the Holy Spirit.  Or on the other hand, we have  worldly desires, instant rewards, pursuits of the flesh, and the punishment that should rightly befall upon each of us.  You see, the problem doesn’t come in with us saying which one we choose; that’s easy.  The problem comes with our actual choosing of it, and that’s why I say that the choice of indecision is still a decision.  When we commit our lives to Christ, we commit to living the Christian life.  How that looks isn’t necessarily a list of do’s and don’ts, but a submission to God and to his Word.  It’s in essence an agreement that we make to submit ourselves to Scripture and God’s will of our lives.  The problem comes in when we find something in Scripture that we don’t like.  When this happens then we want to throw that part out or ignore that command, but we still want to have Jesus and all the benefits and blessings.  Well, in the words of my dad, “I’m sorry, I could have sworn that there were only two choices.”  We’re faced basically with the same options that Dr. Mohler put forth back in June, complete acceptance or denial.  You see, to commit our lives to Christ isn’t to commit ourselves to following him only when we want to because that wouldn’t be commitment at all.  That would be like saying that when I married my wife that I was agreeing to be her husband only when I wanted to be.  Instead of our vows saying for better or worse, in sickness or in health; they would have read “during times where you’re both healthy and everything is good and money isn’t tight and life is easy.”  That’s not what they said at all.  Amy and I made a commitment to each other that no matter what happened, we were going to be faithful to one another, love one another, and support one another.  We pledged to place each other, along with our marriage as a whole, above our own individual desires. 

My father has this friend who he and his wife were having problems.  They separated, saw a marriage counselor and seemed to be on the right track.  Then, they just suddenly filed for divorce.  I can remember me and my dad running into him at the golf course and my dad asked him what happened.  “Y’all seemed to be doing so good?” my dad asked him.  Dad’s friend replied, “Yeah, we were able to agree on pretty much everything except for one thing.”  My dad said, “One thing!  That’s not so bad, my wife and I disagree on at least one thing per day.”  His friend replied, “I know, but she just would not budge on me keeping my girlfriend.”

Now, we may want to laugh at my dad’s friend (which we did but it was mainly to cover up the shock that we were both feeling at the time), but that’s exactly what many of us do when it comes to our faith.  We want to have that marriage, that union with Christ, but we don’t want the true commitment that goes with it.  We don’t want the hard choices or the expectations that accompany that relationship.  However, when we are fully committed, we actually enjoy those expectations and don’t worry about them.  I’m committed to my spouse just as many of you are.  I don’t get upset at things I miss out on.  I’m committed to my God; I don’t worry about the things that I supposedly miss out on because of it.  You see, I’ve decided and am completely happy in my decision.  I wouldn’t change my mind for anything in this world.

But you see, there is another side to this notion of our making a decision.  Some of you probably know where I’m going with this and you’re probably the same ones who have had the same question ringing in your head since the words “choice” and “decision” got thrown out there.  I want to turn your attention very quickly to the Apostle Paul’s words at the beginning of his letter to the church in Ephesus.  He writes, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world…In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him works all things according to the counsel of his will.”  You see, we do have a choice to make, but the choice of whether or not we come to Christ is already made.  Now, I don’t really have enough time to flush this out like I probably need to, but let me just see if I can quickly elaborate on this. 

If we look at Paul’s words we find terms like “blessing, inheritance, and gift.”  You see, faith ultimately is not a virtue, it’s a gift.  Christ died for us upon a tree, satisfying the debt owed to God.  There’s nothing else to our salvation.  We don’t add one bit to our being saved; it’s completely a work of Christ.  Now, if it all ultimately hinged upon our acceptance of Christ’s offer then we would absolutely have something to do with it, but we don’t.  You see, (and I understand that it’s a tricky and confusing subject) this is the doctrine known as irresistible grace.  Irresistible grace means that the saving grace of God is effectually applied to those whom he has determined to save (the elect) and, in God's timing, overcomes their resistance to obeying the call of the gospel, bringing them to faith in Christ.  So you see we do make the choice because God chooses us first.

Friends, Christ chooses whom he chooses for reasons that are known only to him.  To many this sounds cold; to many this sounds harsh.  To some of you it may sound cold and harsh, but Scripture isn’t just about making us feel good and warm inside; it’s about revealing God to us.  I know no other way to describe it other than to say that once you’ve felt that call, once you’ve received that gift of faith, there no longer stands before you a choice.  Give me life or give me death; give me Christ or give me nothing.  Use the gift of faith that you have been given; hold it dear.  Make your life one where the gift of God is on display at all times.  Glory be to God; in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment