Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sin and Mental Illness in Light of the Passing of Robin Williams

I was sitting down at my computer in my office last night before a prayer meeting and checked Facebook real quick.  What I saw on the screen was a post that simply said “wish this one was a hoax” and then it had a picture of Robin Williams underneath the caption.  I clicked on the link quickly and read what happened.  I jumped over to other social media sites, only to see them filled with people paying their respects to and wishing condolences for the passing of this great comedian and actor.  After my meeting, I went home and helped my wife get our kids in bed.  Once they were asleep, we sat down and watched some television; me, Amy, and my mother-in-law (who is here helping us out during the first week of school).

I guess the news channels were feeling overly saturated on the various pockets of chaos in the Middle East, because every single one of them was running some type of special on Robin Williams.  We decided to watch one of them just to see some of the things that people were choosing to say about this man and his passing.  They pointed out his career highs.  They pointed out his awards.  They pointed out how many generations he had impacted with his work.  As a kid, I grew up watching Mork and Mindy reruns at my grandmother’s house as they replayed on Nick at Night.  On long car trips, one of the few movies that I used to watch on the small VHS TV we took with us was Mrs. Doubtfire.  When I was a teenager, Good Will Hunting was one of the most popular movies.  As I got older, I found myself coming to love movies like Good Morning, Vietnam and Dead Poets Society.  As a parent, my kids (and wife) know almost every line that Robin Williams’ character Genie has in the movie Aladdin.  There was a part of me (like many other folks last night and this morning) who felt like they lost a member of their family.  I felt like somehow I had lost a distant uncle last night; one that had a pretty substantial impact upon my life and especially my childhood.

However, during the media coverage, they also pointed out his lows.  They pointed out his cocaine addiction during the 80’s.  They pointed out his sobriety and the strides that he had made in that regard.  They pointed out how he had been such an advocate for seeking help and was even in the midst of a sort of “maintenance” stent in rehabilitation.  They also spoke of his depression.  They spoke of the darkness that existed within him that sought his destruction, even though all most people saw was the happy and jovial outside persona.  This darkness within him, ultimately, is what would claim his life.

Now, Williams’ wasn’t an overly religious man.  He was raised as an Episcopalian in Chicago by a devout Christian father and a Christian Scientist mother.  Williams would often make jokes about religion, but always did acknowledge the existence of God.  Now, I don’t want to turn this into a religious discussion right now because that’s not what it should be.  This is a tragedy, a tragedy brought on by mental illness.  Mental illness is real and there is no point in saying that it isn’t.  Having close friends and family members who have struggled with mental illness, I know that sometimes it isn’t something that can just be overcome with more effort and more prayer.  I know that there are times when therapy, treatment, and medicine are needed.  However, I don’t think that a complete answer to overcoming mental illness can be found without prayer.  I think that many times it’s the right combination of treatment and faith that gives us the strength to overcome mental illness.

Now, I’m going to be kind of religious the rest of the way, so if you don’t want to go down that road then please stop reading and just remember the man that passed away last night for the brilliant genius (yes, I know that’s repetitive) that he was.  In Scripture, people who suffered from mental illness were seen as being possessed by some sort of demonic spirit (for example:  Mark 5:1-20).  We see that the power to overcome such spirit comes from God and God alone.  However, I don’t want to focus on the power to overcome it as much as I do the source of it.

If the source of mental illness in Jesus’ day was demonic possession, if it found it’s origins in Satan, then why can’t that be the case today too?  Well, the answer (I think) is that it still is the case.  The answer is that it is sin.  Mental illness is a result of sin.  Now I’m not saying that you did something bad and that God punished you with an illness.  That’s a foolish and inaccurate understanding of how God (and sin) works.  No, sin is a force that seeks to pull us away from God.  Sin is anything that seeks our destruction and separation from God.  Sin is a tool of Satan used to drive a wedge between us and our Creator to bring about our demise.

God gave Robin Williams a beautiful gift.  He gave him the gift of comedy.  It was a gift very similar to the likes of John Belushi and Chris Farley who went before him.  It was a gift similar to what men like Jim Carrey and Frank Caliendo still enjoy today.  There’s no denying that God gave these men (to various degrees) the ability to transform themselves into characters that could make us cry with laughter.  It truly is a beautiful thing.  However, the presence of sin seeks nothing but the destruction of the beautiful things of God.  It comes in the form of temptation, drug use, or even in the form of mental illness. 

Now all of this being said, when mental illness comes about in someone’s life, I’m a huge advocate of seeking help.  I’m a huge advocate of seeking professional attention.  I’m a huge advocate of getting the proper medication when it’s needed.  As a pastor, I’m often called on to counsel people who are going through emotional problems.  One of the great pieces of advice that I was given some time ago was to never try and work someone through a problem with mental illness when they need professional help.  It’s like trying to build a house when you don’t know how to, but you know what it’s supposed to look like.  It’s never going to work and the end result is going to be even more tragic than if you would have done nothing at all.

However (and this is where many won’t like this whole argument), I don’t think that one can truly overcome mental illness without God.  I think that medicines help.  I think that therapy helps.  I think that programs help, but I don’t think that they have the power to overcome it.  If God was the only one with the power to drive out this sin in the Old Testament, then how could that have changed today?  If God is the only one who has the power to forgive sins, then how could it be any different today?  The answer is that it can’t and it hasn’t.

If you know someone who is struggling with mental illness; get them help.  Get them serious and professional help.  However, don’t neglect the faith aspect of their health either.  It’s only when we have the balance proper treatment and the only One who has the power to overcome sin that we can truly hope to overcome mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment