Sunday, May 5, 2013

John 13:36-14:7 "Comfort in Darkness"

Several weeks ago, we looked at a passage in which we saw Jesus tell John that Judas was going to betray him. He told all of the disciples that one of them would betray him, but John was the only one that he informed as to the identity of his betrayer. Now we’re told that Peter will deny Jesus. We’re told that not only will Peter deny him, but he will do so three times. This has to absolutely scare the pants off of the disciples; they’ve already heard one will betray and now they’re hearing that one will deny. Not only will one deny, but the denier is going to be Peter. I mean, Peter is kind of like the leader of the disciples. He’s listed first among them when they are listed in the book of Acts. He is the one who prematurely rushes to Jesus’ defense when the authorities come to arrest him. He’s kind of the alpha male of the group so-to-speak. If there was any one of the disciples that we would think wouldn’t deny Jesus no matter the situation, then it would be Peter. However, that’s what the disciples are told and it’s what we have here and there is no debating it.

So they now are sitting, listening to Christ as he has just given them this news about a betrayal and a denial coming from within the twelve. Let’s also not forget that he has just said several times that he is leaving and that where he is going they cannot follow. The one who they have left everything behind in order to follow is about to leave them. They are worried and mostly likely it is very visible and very apparent to Jesus that the disciples are concerned. This is truly a dark hour for the disciples. If this were being played out for us as a movie, then this scene would have a very dark tone to it. That’s why back in 13:30 we were told that it was night; so that we would see this as a dark moment for the disciples. Jesus, seeing this, gives them what they need. He tells them, “Let not your hearts be troubled.” He calms their fears. He tells them to believe in God, to believe in Jesus. That is where both the disciples and our greatest comfort lies.

He tells them that he is going to his Father’s house to prepare the way for them. They have heard him refer to God as his Father numerous times. Now whether or not they fully comprehended such statements is a whole other matter entirely. Whether they full understand that Jesus is speaking of heaven has been debated for some time. Either way, Jesus tells them that after he has gone and prepared this place for them that he will return and take them to where he is going. He doesn’t say that he will send for them, but that he will take them himself. After comforting them and assuring them that they know the way to where he is going (since they are already following him), Thomas is still confused, and I would imagine that he isn’t the only one. He asks, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” You see, Jesus has already told them that they cannot follow him to where he is going and that they are not coming with him at this time. Now he’s telling them that they already know the way to where he is going. I have to imagine that there is quite a bit of confusion amongst the entirety of the disciples at this point. Jesus answers Thomas’ question by telling him that he is the way. He says, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.” Following Christ is the way to where he is going; it is the only way to where we want to go.

I am what some of you might call directionally challenged. I don’t know what it is about me but (as they say) when God was forming me within my mama’s womb some 30 years ago, he left out my sense of direction. I just don’t have one. Luckily, in God’s providence, he gave me a wife who has a sense of direction that is so good that it overcomes my own shortcomings in this area. However, there are numerous times when I have to make trips without my wife being able to tell me where to go. I’m thankful that I live in a time where GPS devices are in common supply. I can plug in addresses and locations and the device will take me directly to where I want to go. I trust that it will lead me to where I want to go. I follow the directions no matter where they may take me. I know how to get from where I am to where I’m going simply by following where I am being led. When it comes to heaven, Christ is our GPS. Now, that may be a somewhat crude and oversimplified way of saying things, but it’s pretty true. Christ is giving (has given) us the directions; we just have to follow them.

Jesus goes on to tell the disciples, “No one comes to the Father except through me.” He is the only way to heaven. Jesus is the only one who can lead us to our heavenly home to be with the Father Almighty. All of the other “maps” are wrong. All of the religions out there that speak of others that can take us to heaven are simply not true. All of the other belief systems out there that offer salvation apart from Jesus Christ are in error. The notion that exists in our world today that all religions worship the same God just in different forms is bogus. The idea that we are all going to the same place but that our paths for getting there are different is quite honestly a myth. Jesus Christ says plain and simple that he is the only way. It is our faith in Christ that leads us to heaven and nothing else. Being a good person and doing good works are great and they should naturally flow out of a right faith in Jesus Christ as our Savior, but they are not salvific in-and-of themselves.

The words that Jesus speaks to his disciples here are from a text that we often find read at a funeral service. They are words that give us comfort during our darkest times, just as they are given to comfort the disciples in their darkest time here. And boy what a comfort they are. Imagine if our salvation was dependent upon our works. Imagine if your own salvation was dependent upon your own good works. I stand here before you today a man who most people would say is a pretty decent guy. I’m a husband and a father who wants nothing but the best for his wife and his children. I stand here before you today a pastor who constantly seeks for the work of Christ and the will of God to be done across this earth. However, I stand here before you today a man who has failed in numerous aspects of life. I have failed in numerous aspects of my faith as well. I have had times where I sought the good of myself and my family much more than the good of others. I have worried about what is mine and getting my family comfortable before I have even thought about the needs of others. I can tell you that if my salvation depended solely upon the good works that I have done and my total fulfillment of what God requires of me, then I would be up a creek without a paddle. Fortunately, my salvation is not based upon what I have done. My salvation is a work of Christ. In terms of that creek I just mentioned, Christ is my paddle. And not only is he my paddle, but he is my boat, my compass, the guiding star, the current, and everything else that is leading me to my eternal destination. And the exact same thing is true of your salvation. Christ is everything in terms of our salvation.

When times are tough and when things get hard, take refuge in the Lord. Remember that Jesus Christ is not just a way. Remember that he isn’t the best way, but he is the only way to the Father. Know that dark clouds will form, thunder will roll, and waves will come crashing down around you, but the Lord will continue to lead the way. If we follow Christ, we will never get lost. No matter how dark the skies may get, the light of Christ will shine through it all for us to see. Seek Him, trust Him, follow Him. Glory be to God; in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment