Tuesday, July 17, 2012

About Time

I know that I don't usually post things on here that aren't sermons. I want to, but I just don't think about it most of the time until well after the moment has passed. However, something happened to Amy and I recently that I just had to record and share. When wemoved down to Houma, LA earlier this year we had not yet sold our house. We weren't too worried about it. I mean, the market really doesn't start to pick up until around March anyway. We figured that we would hold onto it for a few months longer (having originally listed it during Thanksgiving break) and that would be the end of it. Well, March came...and went; so did April, May, and June. We started to think that we were never going to get rid of that house. July came and Amy wrote the mortgage check like she usually does. After putting it in the mail, she reminded me to take it out of the checkbook. I sat down and ran some numbers. The outlook was not good. I looked up at Amy and said, "I don't know how, but we have to get out from under this house this month." That was the end of the discussion. We both went about our day in the same manner as we usually did. Fastforward to that evening; as we sat down for dinner the phone rang...it was our realtor. "Well, we have an offer on your house." What?! After talking with him for a little bit about the details and timelines we got off the phone. Amy and I sat in stunned silence. It wasn't so much at the fact that we got an offer, but that it happened the same day that I said that we couldn't do this any longer. Over the course of the next couple of days I found out that not only had Amy and I each prayed that day that something would happen with our house, but that various members and groups within our church had prayed that very same day that we would be able to sell our house. Call it the power of prayer, good timing, or whatever you want to, but don't call it a coincidence. Our God is sovereign (i.e. He is in control of all things). He knew that we didn't neccessarily need to sell our house any earlier; it would have been nice, but not needed. When we absolutely needed something, God answered our cries for help. We are scheduled to close on the house next Friday and Amy and I couldn't be more excited. It isn't what we wanted for it, but what we needed. We are out from under the house without taking a loss. We continue to pray that nothing comes up and prevents us from being able to complete this sale. As it gets closer and closer, I am more and more reminded of the fact that God has promised to provide for our every need. This week, I read through Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). If we truly believe that what Jesus promised in the great sermon as the truth, how could we ever doubt for one second that our God, the one who created the Heavens and the Earth, is in total and complete control of all things?

No comments:

Post a Comment