Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lack of new posts

Sorry for the lack of posts for over a month. The life of a youth director tends to get a little crazy during the summer anyways. It doesn't help matters when you have weddings across the country to attend and taking a computer just isn't an option. Add on to that the fact that when I have been at home my internet has been down and posting anything new just hasn't been possible.

I wanted to discuss a topic here that has been on my mind for a few weeks. During the second weekend of June we all loaded up and flew to Napa Valley, CA for a family wedding. One of Amy's cousins was getting married and it was a great time to see some family that we never get to see and my daughter got to meet many members of the family for the first time. All-in-all it was a great trip, but there was one thing that bothered me immensely. At the wedding "ceremony" there was no mention of God. There was an "officiant" who had no seminary training and wasn't ordained by any governing body. This started me thinking about the state of affairs in our country today.
The bride was of Asian decent and there was a customary tea held before the ceremony. Obviously this means that she had a sense of tradition that must be followed for a wedding to take place. However, to have Christ present in no way in the ceremony was something that we just don't see much down here in the south. I thought it was odd that the wedding was structured in the same manner as you would expect to find in the church, but without God. I know that it has gotten repetitive me saying that God wasn't present in the service but I am still trying to get over it. One thing is for sure, God was present in that place where two people pledged their love for one another. No matter how much those in attendance might not have wanted to acknowledge His presence, He was there. Remember, marriage is an ordinance that is instituted by God. Only with Christ as the center of a marital union is it truly marriage in the sense that it was intended to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment